I also decided to use the black grandfather clock for the height it added, but it brought a new color in. The red actually added some excitement to the room that it needed, so I added more. The first picture I tried was one I really like, (a tall thin print of a woman in a red coat which you can see in the first set of pics of the black and white room in the Gallery) but the details were too subtle, so I looked for other images, this time chosen not just for the color but to match the theme of curves that had developed. I chose the picture of the curved staircase to reflect the spiral staircase next to it for a bit of whimsy. The large painting was the piece that was supposed to pull together the color scheme, as it had all the colors of the room in it, but unfortunately, it didn't photograph well, so some of the impact was lost.
Altogether, the room proved very difficult to photograph. All of the black objects in the room wanted to show up as simply black shapes. I had to play with the brightness, midtones and contrasts and I still wasn't happy with how little detail shows.
Some of the small objects I add to a room never show or don't make it into the final cut when I am choosing what pictures to use. One of my favorites in this room was the sheet music on the piano- Dave Brubeck's "Take Five." I felt that whoever lived in this room would like jazz. I tried, and rejected, several posters of the Brubeck quartet as possible wall art.
In the end I was pleased with the final result, but my photography did not do it justice, partly because I accidentally shot it with the Macro setting on my digital camera turned on. If doing a room like this over again, I would probably not use natural lighting again, but use lights I could better control. Though I love natural light, and always prefer to use it, in this case, it didn't light as evenly as I would have liked, leaving the right side of the room a little in shadow and overexposing the left side and the mirror table. The contrasts can be very effective, though, as in the picture of Poppy sitting on the couch.
I learned a lot from this room. It didn't come out quite as I had pictured it, but it was, like all my doll rooms, a learning experience.
Time to break this one down and go on to the next one. A thousand more rooms are dancing in my head! One of these days I'll get one of them perfect! :-)